Sunday 23 March 2014

review :: Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover


Wow. Just… wow. It’s not often that I’m rendered speechless by a book, but that happened while reading this masterpiece by Colleen Hoover. This book was so good that a 5 star rating simply isn’t enough. So, let me tell y’all, Maybe Someday is clearly on a league of its own with a 5+ star rating that I’ve only given to Beautiful Disaster, Fifty Shades of Grey, Crossfire, possibly Remy and some of Kristen Ashley’s novels. This book is not only the best book I’ve read in 2014, it’s also one of the (very few) best books I’ve read in my life. LIFE. By this, y’all should know I mean business!! LOL

There’s soooo much I want to say, but the words are running over themselves in my brain because they all want to come out at once. Gosh, you guys, it was such an amazing, touching, life changing surprise seeing as I went into this book absolutely blind, no blurb or any spoilers whatsoever. Can I erase my memory and start all over?! Sigh. ‘Kay, let’s start this.

I think I should start by saying I’d heard about this book some months before, but it wasn’t even on my radar. I wasn’t minimally interested in reading this because the books that made Colleen über famous – Slammed, Hopeless, etc… – fell short with me. Everyone and their mommas raved about them, but I just didn’t connect with the books at all. I even gave them a 2 star rating over at Goodreads, I believe. Yeah, there’s something about Colleen’s writing that is so special, but maybe I just couldn’t bond with the characters or whatever. However, everyone was raving, once again, about her new release, so I decided to give Colleen another chance. God bless the minute I did so!

“I keep my hand clutched tightly to my chest without reading it. I refuse to accept that whatever words are written on my palm will obliterate what little hope I had for our maybe someday.”

I normally quote the hell out a book I loved, but I want you guys to go into the story as I did. Trust me, you have to. There are so many (so, so, so, so many!!!) twists and turns, and right off the bat there’s something about the book that just pulls the rug right off your feet. It’s life changing. It really is. This book is so emotional, you guys. It awakens your soul in such a deep, terrific level that you just want the story to go on and on and on... It’s a standalone novel (sobs!) but I’ve never wished harder for a sequel in my life.

“I never realized how powerful desire could be. It consumes every part of you, enhancing your senses by a million. When you’re in the moment… all you can do is focus on the person in front of you.”

Let me ask you this… Do you believe in soul mates? Because I do. And Colleen wrote my idealization of soul mates so perfectly, it was hard not to cry. I don’t know what kind of magic Colleen managed to weave with this book, but I connected to Sydney and Ridge’s story in such a profound level. I was Sydney. Ridge was “him”. It just was… us! Me, him and Warren, too. And Maggie. How?! It baffled me. I gasped, buried my head in my pillow at 2 a.m., and cried tears of joy and heartbreak. It was every single thing and beyond. I never cry reading a book. I can’t even deal. Literally, you guys, I can’t. Through Sydney’s eyes, I fell in love with Ridge.

“I also know that my soul is compatible with Sydney’s, but it’s also so much more than that. Our souls aren’t just compatible—they’re perfectly attuned. I feel everything she feels. I understand things she never even has to say. I know that what she needs is exactly what I could give her, and what she’s wishing she could give me is something I never even knew I needed.”

What can I promise you? You’ll fall head over heels with Ridge. By a clear mile, the sweetest hero I’ve ever read, experienced, had the utter privilege of meeting. You’ll become Sydney. You’ll live every single minute of this story as if you transcended the pages and landed right there in Texas with them. The musical side of this story will heighten your experience to a level you never thought possible. Your senses will go into overdrive and you’ll feel every bit of this story in your skin. In your soul. In your heart! This I can promise you. Scout’s honor! *wink* Seriously, read this. Please. It’ll literally stay with you forever. What do you say? Too soon to reread this book? Because I really want to… heh!

“Beat, beat, pause.
Contract, expand.
Inhale, exhale.”

~

RATING :: 5+ stars
SEX SCENES :: Mild
GENRE :: Contemporary romance, new adult, music
AUDIENCES :: 17
LENGTH :: 299 pages
HAPPY ENDING :: Yes
SEQUEL :: No }

No comments:

Post a Comment