Wednesday 16 April 2014

review :: The Will by Kristen Ashley


The most mainstream and “vulgar” comment I can make about this book (and Kristen in general), is: “superb, magnificent, fulfilling!” And yep, those are common comments. You know why? Because Kristen and The Will are so. Much. More!!! Holy mother-oo, y’all! This book is phenomenal! Kristen is phenomenal! A sure 4.5 stars, bordering on a full on 5!!

Y’all know from the get-go (yep, it rhymes!) that anything Kristen writes turns to gold. She definitely has the Midas touch in book form. I’ve been sort of wrecking my brain trying to figure out what differentiates Kristen’s books from any others, and it wasn’t too hard to figure out. She writes books about real life (stay with me, here!), about mature people engaging in mature situations. There’s a hearty dose of story lines that anyone can relate to, books that resonate with mature audiences as well as younger audiences (such as myself). There’s a flavor for everyone, basically! I’m not exaggerating when I say Kristen has a rare gift of storytelling that only a few writers are ever graced with. She’s unlike any other!

Right, well, aside from the initial jibber jabber I can’t help myself with; let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of the story. Josephine Malone is a career oriented woman, with little going for her in the relationship department apart from her gorgeous connection with her Grandma Lydie. The book starts with Lydie’s funeral, but I wasn’t really feeling the book at first Took me a while to really get into the story… But, yes, Josephine is one of a kind. Holy Christ, she’s seriously the most intriguing character (I think) Kristen has presented us with. She is hilarious without knowing, she’s kickass without believing so, she’s amazing in her own right. Just a badass bitch, y’all!

“You talk so freakin’ cool,” he replied. “Weird. But cool.”
“Indeed. And you will find, young Bryant, as you grow older that things that are normal are just normal. Anyone can be normal. Thus it’s my experience that most things that are weird are cool.”

Do you not feel that if women nowadays had Josie’s confidence, self assurance, positively blasé attitude, life would be grand? Like, seriously grand! And funny as hell, too, because Josephine Malone gets off on calling youngsters “young Taylor”, “young Bryant”, like she’s some kind of hilariously polite monk. Love. Her. To. Death!!! Her language is so freaking awesome, y’all. Now let’s introduce Jake before we get any further.
“First time I walked into Lavender House, looked left, saw that photo of you behind the couch…”
He shook his head. “I was with Sloane, shit was not good with her, but it still makes me a dick because I took one look at that picture and fell in love with you.”
Oh…my…
God.”

Swoon… Yep, Jake Spear is badass, the kind of badass only Kristen can write about without looking like she’s trying too hard. It’s serious work, peeps! I don’t mean that Jake is any less of a character by saying this, but he’s classic KA. In my perspective, she writes different heroines but maintains the same basis for the hero. I mean, I’m all for it sister, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, yeah? So there’s that. Jake’s awesome sauce. But, like every good KA character, he messes up from the get-go. Remember Tate from Sweet Dreams and the fat comment? ‘Cause I do. And Jake kinda messed up a bit, too. Saying Josie’s not his type, fffs. You big ass liar, you.

“My type,” he explained. “I get off on big hair and big…” he hesitated, his lips again quirking before he continued, “other stuff and don’t mind my women showin’ skin. You’re a seriously good thing. You’re just not my thing.”

Oh no, you diiii-dn’t!? You utter ass, Spear! Even though Josie is apparently as impenetrable as they come, she recoiled from that “blow” (à la Kristen!) and was surprised as she did so. I mean, she’s not supposed to like Spear, is she?! Of course by now you’re missing a big part of the puzzle, which I choose not to unravel for you because you have to experience what connects Jake and Josie. And lemme tell you, Kristen is clever. Kristen is sneaky. Kristen is friggin’ fab. You with me?


“Look at me when I tell you I love you,” he ordered.
I focused on the man I loved who loved me in a return for an instant before he said the words.
“I love you, baby.” 

SOOO Kristen Ashley! Wouldn’t you say?! Before we conclude matters, y’all should know about Jake’s amazeballs children, and should you read the book, you’ll also be amazed at Josie’s work with them. Josie is so amazing, you guys. So lovely! I loved the romance between Josie and Jake, but I may have loved even more seeing them become a family, especially with Amber and little Ethan – the “runt”, heh! Josie fights tooth and nail for every one of them, but especially for Amber, an insecure girl hiding behind a full face of makeup and a different persona trying to land a dude that was way beneath her. Waaaay. And me, basically a teeny bit older than Amber, can totally relate to all she felt.

“As you can see,” I started quietly and she turned her eyes to me. “You are very pretty, Amber. Very.” I stressed and that marvel again suffused her face as I carried on in a whisper. “Don’t hide that, lovely girl. Give us a treat and show it to the world.” Her lips parted and I reached out a hand to touch the back of hers before I decided to leave her be and move to Ethan.”

And Lydie… Sneaky, brilliant, amazing Lydie. You’ll know why I’m saying all of this when you really read the book and realize what a beautiful, priceless gift Josie’s grandma gave her when she passed. Tears in my eyes, I swear!!

“My girl, know this and never forget. It’s never too late to reach for happiness and no matter what life has done to you, it’s never too late to find it. Please don’t be offended when I share with you that I know you’ve been hiding. I know why. I understand it, buttercup, but it’s time to come into the light. I’ve found someone special to help guide the way. Please, Josie, take Jake’s hand and let him guide you to happiness.”

This is a story about unexpected love, happening at an unexpected time to two people who were shot in the heart quickly but surely. I loved this book, and you will not be disappointed if you’re craving a sweet, deep, emotional love story for both Jake and Josie, but also Jake’s children. Sigh… Thank you so much, Kristen. <3

“Don’t,” I whispered back.
“I didn’t fuck that up, coulda tried to make a baby with you.”
“Don’t,” I pleaded, pressing into his jaws with my hands.
“Had no clue you’d want me.”
“You’re everything,” I told him.

~
RATING :: 4.5 stars
SEX SCENES :: Steamy
GENRE :: Contemporary romance, series
AUDIENCES :: 17+
LENGTH :: 375 pages
HAPPY ENDING :: Yes
SEQUEL :: Series continuation, different characters }

No comments:

Post a Comment