Monday 5 May 2014

review :: Bully & Until You by Penelope Douglas

 (Small introductory FYI: I’ve been absent from this little corner of the web for a little while because of college crappery and illness. I’m still reading – not a lot of new books, mainly rereading as you can tell from my tweets – but I simply haven’t had the time to sit down and write reviews because I don’t want them to be half-assed. I want to pour my all into them, so… yeah. This is my life lately. Let’s review, shall we?!)

~

“Yesterday lasts forever. Tomorrow comes never.”

Okay, this is actually cheating because I read these books way back when. Um, yeah, this sounds like I read them way back in the 80’s or something, which I didn’t because first, I wasn’t even an embryo yet and second, they weren’t around back then, so… uh… yeah. Rambling and stuff. Anyway, this wasn’t a recent read, but I reread these awesome sauce books today and felt like it was a crime not to write about them because they still made me tingle all over. Sigh, Jared…

So, the title of the first book is pretty self explanatory, and the blurb is quite simple: Jared Trent gets off on bullying Tatum Brandt, and no matter how much we glamorize it, it’s still bullying, it’s still wrong and it’s still a risky subject to touch. And yep, despite all this, I. Freaking. Loved. It!!!! I wonder why I actually gravitate towards things I strongly frown upon in real life, like bullying and taboo matters and all sorts of things. I just feel like, if done right, it’s one hell of a ride to take. Things aren’t always black and white in life. Aren’t books great that way? Drama! Thrills! Goosebumps! Tears! Wanting to die a little inside because of the angst!

Jared and Tate were best friends ever since they were little kids and lonesome Jared found out a new neighbor just moved next door. See, Jared didn’t have the best life growing up, with an absent and abusive dad and a drunk mom, while Tate had only her (kickass) dad to rely on, seeing as her mom passed away. Through it all, they relied on each other the best they could, with Tate being the clutch to Jared’s sadness and vice versa. It was so sweet to read about! But then, of course, all the happiness is ripped away by something you’ll have to read to find out about.

“You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all of those things, and I loved you. But now…you’re a fucking drought.”

Our story begins with Jared filled with hate and bitterness, and a sad, beaten down Tate who is on the verge of spending a year studying abroad. With Tate’s absence, Jared is forced to face all the underlying issues that plague him, that maybe his hatred of Tate is nothing but a cover up for the love he still feels for her. Gosh, you guys, you can practically feel the emotion rolling off the pages! It’s like you’re there and it’s ripping your heart apart because you know Jared needs Tate like oxygen, but he’s too bitter to swallow his pride and get her. And Tate… poor Tate.

“What was worse than losing you was when you started to hurt me. Your words and actions made me hate coming to school. They made me uncomfortable in my own home.”

Grrr! I wanted to slap Jared silly for the first half of the book, because dang, be warned: he could be cruel as fudge. But then, against all natural instincts and all cruelty, I still found myself rationalizing his behavior and trying to understand where he was coming from, because I knew, in my heart of hearts, that he loved Tate like no one else. He wanted her anger, her fire, he craved it. And I’ve read people saying that despite all that, what he did was unjustifiable, but that wasn’t the case with me. Maybe my tune would be different had I experienced all that myself, but…

“I hate you!”
And there it was.
“Good!” I shouted, bearing down on her, my heart beating wildly. “Finally! Because it’s been a long time since I could stand the sight of you.”

Ouch, ouch, ouch! Jared sure knows how to deliver the blows. He was taught to believe needing someone was showing weakness, apologizing made him look like a pussy. But, for Tate, he was willing to swallow his mammoth pride because the need for her was stronger. Jared's sidekick Madoc also helped tremendously in helping Jared take his head out of his ass and man up enough to realize he wanted and needed Tate.

Apologizing was a sign of weakness.
But I wanted Tate back.
My heart only beat for her, and I’d rather spend my life hating, loving, fucking, and breathing her than losing her.
You need to apologize, dickhead.
“Shhh, Tate,” I whispered into her ear. “I won’t hurt you. I’ll never hurt you again. I’m sorry,” I said, closing my eyes as I swallowed the bitter pill.

See? In accepting that his love and need for her overshadowed the sadness and anger over his past, therein began the healing. Not without many more twists and turns I want you to experience – because the road to their love story was paved with spikes and thorns –, but the outcome was sweeter than sweet and was worth all the near tears I spilled and the angst we had to power through!

“Yesterday lasts forever. Tomorrow comes never. Until you.”

I’d say that this book isn’t for those easily offended and whose feathers are ruffled easily. This book is maddening and cruel pretty much through the first half, and you’ll hate Jared once or twice or a bazillion times, but I really recommend it if you love redeemable bad boys; amazing, deep, thrilling love stories and an overall roller coaster ride. Penelope wrote a ballsy, unforgettable, amazing book that, despite the content and your approval or otherwise, anyone would or should be darn proud to read. Buckle up – you’ll need it, little devils! It’s gonna be painful, but it’s gonna be fuuuuun!

“I can’t change the past, Tate. I wish I could, because I’d go back and relive every day that I existed without you, and I’d make sure that you smiled.” My eyes burned with regret, and I saw the pools in her beautiful blues, too. “Every minute of my future belongs to you.”

(Sidenote: shhh, I'm sorry, I know this is so long already, omg, but I cannot freaking wait for Madoc's story in Rival, releasing Summer 2014! YES, YES, YES! Gimme, gimme, gimme! Penelope, love, if you're reading this, consider the donation of my firstborn in exchange for the book. Kthnxbye!)

~
RATING :: 5 stars
SEX SCENES :: Steamy
GENRE :: Contemporary romance, series, new adult
AUDIENCES :: 18+
LENGTH :: 332 pages
HAPPY ENDING :: Yes
SEQUEL :: Series continuation, different characters }

No comments:

Post a Comment