Wednesday 8 January 2014

review :: Jagged by Kristen Ashley

jagged

AMAZON :: GOODREADS

In case you hadn't noticed before, Kristen Ashley is the queen of life. Yes, she has indeed transcended book world royalty. Why? People... Do y'all even need an explanation? Simply read her books and you'll understand! I've said it before but I'll say it again: the Colorado Mountain series is EVERYTHING!!! See these abundant exclamation points? They flew outta me and I was powerless to stop them, because Kristen's books are just. that. good!

First of all, here's a little fun fact: when I read the blurb with the name of the characters and I saw the name Ham, I was like... oh. Okay. Wait, what? You mean... THIS? I was so confused and kinda turned off, I'll admit haha. I mean, imagine being out and about with your man and you have to call him over for something when suddenly you find yourself yelling 'Haaaam!' very loudly. Well, if I was passing you by I would think you're seriously craving ham so much that you have to yell for it in the middle of the street. Know what I'm sayin'? But then I saw his name was Graham so I kinda understood after that and it didn't bother me anymore, LOL. 

So, what's the deal? In a nutshell, Zara Cinders and Graham Reece were casual lovers... except to Zara, their relationship was anything but casual. Yep, she knew Ham was the love of her life but thought she was only a fling to him. You must also take into account the fact that Ham is one of those men who doesn't lay roots anywhere, he's always moving from one place to the other and him and Zara never really had a monogamous relationship (mostly on Ham's end), but rather they were together whenever the mood struck. And if you're a lady, y'all know how much that must sting, doesn't it?

BUT... Lemme just chime in for a sec because the thing is, us women always think men are these arctic creatures that can't possibly ever care about us as deeply as we care about them. Right?! Well, we gotta give our men a little credit. They may not be as awesomely attuned to their feelings as we are (but who is, ladies?! hehe) but they're no dummies either... at least not entirely. They do feel deeply for us, ache for us, even if they don't always show it physically. Zara, like I said, was very insecure so she started seeing Greg who seemed the safer option and wasn't unpredictable like Ham. In other words, she settled. And Ham, sadly, let her. But while it may have seemed that Ham was more than ready to let Zara run off into Greg's arms, we girls know better than that, don't we?!

“Didn’t want to do it, hated fuckin’ doin’ it, hated losin’ you for three years, but I did it. For you. For you to have him. So that means for him to have you. I wasn’t in the place to give you what you needed then but if I was, you made it plain, I coulda made things not so fuckin’ easy for him. I didn’t. Now you’re mine. He needs to back the fuck off.”

Swooooon! Don't you just love Kristen's possessive alpha males? I wanna see those hands up in the air! Hehe. Anyway... just some context for you guys: there's a reason why Ham lays it thick and can be somewhat of an ass at times. He's been screwed over (pun intended, I think) more than once by various women and that made him closed off for women, he's a bag 'em and leave 'em kinda guy, but his scars run deep.

“Christ. Proof I need standing right there. All that pretty. Shiny. Looks sweet. Tastes sweeter. So goddamned good, you fuck up, put your trust in that sweet, then she sinks her fangs in you and releases the venom. Only one woman I know not filled with poison, knew her own goddamned mind, her shit was fucked up but she didn’t make it anyone’s problem but her own, and I let her walk away from me, too. The difference with her and you, babe, is that I regret lettin’ her do it. I drove here thinkin’ the same about you. Glad to know right off, I was wrong.”

Ouch, right? You know Kristen Ashley can slay you deep from within, and Ham not only delivered that blow to Zara but I became collateral damage too. That hurt! But they were both reeling and Ham does realize his mistake once he sees Zara's life circle the drain. She was flat broke, living in a trashy apartment, had to close down her shop, was going through a divorce... I mean, talk about bad luck! But fear not, because Ham came to the rescue! Yay! He swooped in and took her to his house, though not without much kicking and screaming. Then Ham and Zara's real love story begins (or continues...).

Lots of things happen in this book, mostly regarding Zara's horrible family. I don't want to spoil you, but of course there's some big drama ahead very much à la Kristen Ashley. There's a healthy dose of angst which is my personal favorite and some bits of heartache, but the love and the fluff and the serious hotness and steaminess plus the adorable foul mouth in Ham more than makes up for it. If I had to establish a top 3 Colorado Mountain books, this one would rank at the 3rd spot behind Sweet Dreams and Lady Luck... but it's amazing nonetheless! I'd say 4.5 stars because it wasn't as thrilling as my top 2 books in the series, BUT... I don't know. I'm torn. I can't truly give less than 5 stars to anything Kristen Ashley writes, now can I? Hehe!

♥♥♥

RATING :: 4.5 stars
SEX SCENES :: Very steamy
GENRE :: Contemporary romance, suspense, erotica
AUDIENCES :: 18+
LENGTH :: 400 pages
HAPPY ENDING :: Yes
SEQUEL :: No }

No comments:

Post a Comment