Saturday 4 January 2014

review :: Lady Luck by Kristen Ashley

lady luck

Gosh, Ty Walker, come and take me! Right. About. Now. Holy hell! Oh and hey, Lexie, why don't you come be my BFF? *sigh* Seriously, you guys, this book is the bomb. These characters are the bomb. The Colorado Mountain series is the absolute bomb. Bomb, ya feel me? 5 million stars. Billion. Trillion. And, by the way, how gorgeous, stunning, breathtaking are the Colorado Mountain series new book covers? The graphic designer in me is rejoicing. Call me crazy, but when a book has a gorg cover, I'm that much more pumped to read it. Oh, and fair warning: this review contains too many quotes, because the book is just that good I couldn't narrow them down. See what I mean?! OK.

I have a confession to make: I'm in love with Kristen Ashley. Yep, head over heels in love with her and her books. There is absolutely no other author in the world like her, no other books that make me feel the way hers do. Every single one of them. To put it simply, if she writes it, I'll read it. I even feel jittery writing this review because I absolutely need to continue reading Breathe like, yesterday. But I also need to let these feelings out so here I am. Let's get started! 

Basically, Tyrell (Ty) Walker spent 5 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. In those 5 bitter years, he has formed a plan of vengeance towards those who framed him. Where does Lexie fit in this scenario, you ask? Well, she's been asked to pick him up from prison when he gets released. At first, Ty is very monosyllabic (or non-syllabic, sometimes, sigh) but you kinda understand why. She picks him up from prison and thus, unbeknownst to both of them, their fates are sealed and Team Walker is formed. Fate's an amazing thing, wouldn't you say? What Lexie didn't know was that Ty had big, mammoth plans for her. Won't spoil you, but when he said the words, I was like... uh, what? Lemme just check what century were in and I'll get back at ya. I was shocked but also giddy, because I darn right loved the direction Kristen was taking me in. Yes, I did.

What I've found with the Colorado Mountain series is that Kristen Ashley's MO is pretty much the same but still unique: the hero is moody, downright rude and sometimes pure cruel; the heroine, on the other hand, is an innocent-ish woman, sweet, untainted with a heart of gold. This combination of bad and good, wrong and right gets me every time. I swear. I'm like a glutton for punishment because when Ty strikes... oh boy, he strikes hard, and gosh darn it if I don't feel it deep in my bones. Ty is kinda like Tate from Sweet Dreams (review to come). Kristen Ashley's heroes sometimes don't measure the sharp tongue they've got on them, and you can't help but cringe. This next scene was blow after blow after blow to the gut, all because Ty opened up and closed off again after a hot kiss. I felt like I was Lexie and I was breathless for a moment or two.

His blank but still beautiful eyes leveled on mine. “Never promised I’d be nice.”
“You’d been being nice,” I reminded him.
“Yeah,” he affirmed then said, “Mistake. Told you in Vegas, been in chains five years, don’t need anything chaining me.”
Blow two.
“I’m not chaining you,” I told him, my voice trembling.
“Woman, you’re pussy and never met pussy that didn’t come with a chain. Some of them are heavier than others. Don’t wanna find out how heavy yours is.”
Another blow. That one savage.

Draaaah-ma! Angst! I live and breathe for it, I admit. But... Wanna know why Ty's words hurt me extra bad? Because Lexie is literally a ray of sunshine. For me, personally, one of my favorite KA heroines of all time, along with Laurie from Sweet Dreams. She is that girl who is so full of rainbows and enthusiasm and happiness that you can't help but be swallowed and infected by her light. Lexie is a fixer, someone who thrives on making people feel good, much like Laurie. She's so sweet and kind that you instantly feel protective of her and her feelings, and Ty was deliberately crushing her spirit because she was getting under his skin. Yep, Ty is nothing if not emotionally unattached and unavailable. Figures. But he saw he hurt Lexie when the spark behind her eyes vanished... and then the story truly kick-started.

Garlic.
She was cooking.
He climbed the stairs, rounded the railing and saw her in the kitchen.
She didn’t know he was there. She had her iPod earphones in and was standing at the back counter doing something.
She was wearing a tight yellow tank and her army green short-shorts.
She was not swaying, kitchen dancing or singing.
And that was when he knew that Lexie, who could throw bright even when she was asleep, had shut out the light.
Fuck.
Fuck!

From here on out, when faced with the prospect of changing Lexie because of his cowardliness, Ty accepted the changes in their relationship for what they were and he started to open his eyes to the fact he had fallen hard for Lexie, but there were tons of demons to beat in the meantime. What you gotta know, though, is that Ty has enemies. Big enemies. Just FYI, he was made to take the fall for a crime he didn't commit because he is a man of color. That, right there, made my heart squeeze so tight in my chest that I had the instant urge to cuddle Ty close to my chest and kiss his handsome face all day long until he hurt no more, so I kinda understand his detachment. What I also understand is Kristen gave him the perfect heroine, the perfect woman to have by his side. They fit each other like a glove and I. Loved. It. Can we talk about the fact he calls her mama? It was so adorable and swoon worthy! Every character in Kristen Ashley's books seems to have their own pet name and I'm all for it.

How does that saying go? When it's bad it's horrible, but when it's good it's holy cakeballs amazing? Yeah, I totally made that up, but know what I'm sayin'? When Ty and Lexie got that sweet thing going, I could practically feel my heart grow some legs and running across my chest in total adoration. I swear, no one does sour but then sweet like Kristen, absolutely nobody. And when it's sweet... boy, it's blinding. It's amazing. It's every single thing. I literally found myself deep sighing at my tablet with a goofy grin on my face, just like Lexie. What is this, Kristen Ashley, and what have you done to me!?!? {and please don't ever stop, heh...}

“Took my back,” he whispered and I tried to move to lift my head but his fingers tightened on my neck and I stayed were I was. “On the move, rushin’, outta breath to cover me.”
“Ty –”
“I love you, Lexie.”
My heart skipped and warmth flooded through me.
“Ty –”
His hand gave me a squeeze and he cut me off, whispering, “Love you, baby.”
His hand moved then, sifting then fisting in my hair, I lifted my head and he guided it to his mouth where he kissed me, hard, wet and very deep.

And, pssst! This book, like basically every Kristen Ashley book, had its fair share of sass, attitude, and just plain FUN! Yes, you do get a giggle or a million with this story. It's just such a feel good book amidst the angst and drama. So refreshing!

So I bought Ty and I black tees that said on the front, “Team Walker” in big white letters and in smaller lettered italics with quotes under it, “We never admit defeat”. On the back of Ty’s it said, “Mr. Humongo” and on the back of mine it said, “Mr. Humongo’s Mama”.
I freaking loved them.
Ty would take one look at them and think I was a total goof.

This story is everything I wanted it to be, expected it to be and so much more. It's long, yes, but it's so worth it. So, so worth it. There's the drama that comes with the Colorado Mountain series - meaning some kidnaps, some crime, things along those lines - that people who are used to reading Kristen Ashley's novels are familiar with. But, most of all, this is a story about a love so deep it goes beyond society's preconceived idea about ex-cons, about race equality, about starting over and accepting that our Lady Luck is always willing to smile at us, even when we think she's not paying attention. Yep! Lady Luck sure did tend to Ty and Lexie's wishes, gave them all they deserve and so much more. And heads up: you get the sweetest epilogue, very much à la Kristen Ashley. Seriously, what can't this woman write flawlessly?! Stick a fork in me, I'm done. Until the next book, that is... Ta-ta!

“This is it, Team Walker, you and me. We want somethin’, we find a way to get it. We hit a rough patch, we find a way to get over it. We face a challenge, we find a way to beat it. It’s good, we savor it. What I’m sayin’ is, this team is a winner. We never forget to celebrate the victories and we get a lotta those because we never admit defeat.”

---

{ RATING :: 5 stars
SEX SCENES :: Very steamy
GENRE :: Contemporary romance, suspense, erotica
AUDIENCES :: 18+
LENGTH :: 624 pages
HAPPY ENDING :: Yes
SEQUEL :: No }

No comments:

Post a Comment