Thursday 16 January 2014

review :: Night Owl by M. Pierce


Sometimes there's so much hype around a certain book and I'm so strongly compelled to read it that I drop everything I'm doing to start it. Most of the time, that hype has served me well and I've discovered amazing books through it. This time... not so much. 

Writing reviews that don't involve squealing and yelling and fangirling over a book are hard for me to write because that's my standard definition. I'm a fangirl, a squealer, an enthusiastic book reader, but I just couldn't get into Night Owl. I finished, but I skimmed through most of the book because I couldn't connect with the characters or the story itself. Everything people said about it rang true as far as the steaminess of the book went. It was very graphic and very hot, but it sadly made me feel that the sex was as deep as the book went. Again, my opinion.

Matt Sky and Hannah Catalano start the book as Skype correspondents who are introduced as writing partners. They've never met in person and Matt is in a relationship with a girl named Bethany. Mess alert number one. Funny fact: Matt is actually a famous writer under the name of M. Pierce. Clever, huh? *giggle* but the thing is, no one knows who M. Pierce really is. Weird, right? Matt writes under total anonymity but is one of the most famous authors in the world. He has a really dark past and some serious issues with privacy. He was a real douche throughout most of the book, really. This usually doesn't stop me from liking a book, seeing as half of the books I've read lately have jerks in them (but lovable ones, though). Just think about Kristen Ashley and all her jerk heroes I loved! But now I just couldn't find anything about Matt to be lovable or endearing, because he was simply a jerk. Come to think of it, everyone in this book seemed quite jerky-ish, expect poor Hannah. I just wanted to rescue her from all the cuckoo bananas people in her life!!!

You guys, here's the sad thing: they had just met, he had his big privacy issues but, out of absolutely nowhere, he's all like "what are you wearing?" and "touch yourself". Um, excuse me?! Plus, he has a girlfriend?! It all felt so rushed and not at all believable. Plus, he went off on her big time because the poor girl had a picture attached to her e-mail account and he happened to be totally attracted to her. I'm not kidding! And also because Hannah made the outrageous (sense my sarcasm, people) mistake of actually telling him about some tiny problems in her life. Lord have mercy.

Night.Owl: Let's get one thing straight Hannah. I'm not sure what you think it means that you helped me get off with your rudimentary descriptive skills, so let me clarify. It means nothing. It definitely does not mean you can now assault me with your life story.
Little.Bird: It's news to me. God, I'm SO SORRY that I decided to tell you I'd be gone for a few days. We WERE telling a story together basically every day, but since you haven't replied to my last post, I guess that's off.
Night.Owl: It's not off. Don't get all hyperbolic on me Hannah. However, let's pause and consider the distance between 1.) telling me you're going to be MIA for a few days, and 2.) forcing your name AND picture on me.

Mhm-hm! See what I mean?! Douche! And don't get to comfy, because he gets worse. Let's analyze the excessive use of the word slut. Now, I don't care how liberal you are or how open minded you may be, but there are very firm lines that are plain to see and that people can cross everyday. To me, addressing to the woman you "supposedly" love as "my slut" is derogatory and demeaning on so many levels. I just don't understand why anyone, least of all Hannah, agrees to such terminology in reference to herself. Ugh.

She fell across the quilt with a muffled cry.
"You asked for this, you slut," I snarled. I couldn't help myself; I shucked off my shoes and shirt and crawled over Hannah's quivering form. 

AND...

She was no longer my Hannah, my little bird, my slut.

Oh, sure, Matt. Call her your little bird in one breath and your slut the next. Total synonyms. So delightful! NOT. This book made my skin crawl so many times. To be honest, I'd chalk this one up on the category of all sex & no content. At first I thought the sex scenes in this book would be awesome and help me get through it but it got to a point where I felt so revolted that nothing was salvageable for me. Some of the sex scenes in this book are so unrealistic, too. I mean... seriously? A guy calls you to come downstairs to your garden - your PARENTS' garden, mind you! - and coerces you into having sex with him for the first time in his car. Whaaaat?! This was way too much for me. At one point I just wanted to yell "BYE, SEE YOU NEVER" and be done with it.

I finished this fairly quickly, nothing grabbed at me to read more carefully and in the end I was just happy to be rid of Matt Sky. The epilogue has a pretty dark twist (which book doesn't, these days? Cliffhanger madness...) but I don't care enough to even read the next book. MESS.

I definitely feel like the odd one out saying all these things, because everyone adored this book. I think the only other time I didn't like a book everyone else raved about was when I read the Slammed and Hopeless books by Colleen Hoover and felt beyond underwhelmed. I usually go right with the flow on everyone's must haves but these times I just didn't feel it. At. All.

BUT... There were some positives. Lemme tell you that for a debut novel, the writing is great! M. Pierce is truly a very good writer and I'd love to check out her next releases, even if I won't be reading any more from the Night Owl trilogy. One serving of Matt Sky is enough for me and my feminism! LOL

♥♥♥

RATING :: 2.5 stars
SEX SCENES :: Very steamy
GENRE :: Contemporary romance, suspense, erotica
AUDIENCES :: 18+
LENGTH :: 270 pages
HAPPY ENDING :: Yes
SEQUEL :: Yes }

No comments:

Post a Comment